Friday, March 11, 2011

Crooked Saints v. Feist

Ok peoples, sorry for the delay. I could use a bunch of lame excuses about my gangrenous guts, and moving into a new apartment, and no internet at home and stuff but I won't. OK, here is what you've all been waiting for:

Crooked Saints "Beatrice"
vs.
F
eist "The Reminder"



Crooked Saints are an up and coming band from the Grand Rapids area that to currently be on a hiatus. Their one full length album so far is called "Beatrice" and it is a very cohesive album that has a nice flow from beginning to end. The record begins on a nice and spooky tone with the quiet droning of strings leading into a meditative bluesy track "I am the Lion's Lamb." The energy grows over the next two tracks highlighted by the wicked guitar work on "Dark Charade" which builds to the brief and excellent Velvet Undergroundish freak-out at the end.
The following tracks are a good mix of quiet and loud, tension and release, and plenty of what might be the combo's strongest suit: the group vocals. Whether it is the calm and understated "I Am: Yer Life," or the big choruses like "Finding Station" the gang vocals act as a great unifying element throughout the album (the lead guitar kills on that song as well).
Another of this band's strong suit is the frequent use of the "vocal riff," a wordless yodeling type of singing that the band uses in places where others would normally employ instruments. Given the the relatively low recording budget that the band was working with, it is a great sounding record, including a very nice drum sound (played by Chris N. best known for his work in the 90's underground sensation Baxter).

A tough competitor for this record is found in Feist's "the Reminder" I thought to myself.......or is it? I own this record(....or at least I have it on our Ipod, I can't be sure how it got there...) and I have listened to it often...so I must like it. The Remainder seems to in the music collection of just about every music loving friend that I have, all the way to Jeff "up the punx"Bolt. It seems that it must be a pretty phenomenal album for its appeal to be so far flung. But as I gave it another spin I wasn't sure what there was to be excited about. The album has a pretty mellow vibe as a whole with a few exceptions. While I like a lot of "mellow" music, I normally enjoy stuff that has an underlying intensity just below the surface, like a Low or Cat Power or something. But much of this record seems simply "laid-back" and not too interesting to me.

In my book, her strong suit is upbeat songs as exemplefied in "I Feel it All" and "1234" (ok I know she like a total sellout for using it in an Apple ad, but that song rules). She should make a whole album of these kind of tunes.

Entonces.....the big winner is: Crooked Saints.

Now if they could write a tune to sell iPods they'd really take off.

No offense to the Baird Brothers. I love you guys and you rule in all ways musically and otherwise.

9 comments:

  1. In other news, here is some breaking news on the Beach Boys:
    http://pitchfork.com/news/41856-the-beach-boys-to-finally-release-ismilei-sessions/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Joe picked something. Now, as I was saying about Brian Wilson's legacy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i vote for beatrice too. both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa - Beatrice beat Feist? Cool - very honored. (though i noticed that the ONLY thing you didn't mention were the string tracks - whatev.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait, the cello and bass on this album totally rule as well. I wrote that in the original post but it was deleated somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe, the bass sucks. C'mon. I guess I have to be the one to say you made the wrong choice. Love for your family and friends won out over rationality. Now, don't get me wrong. Beatrice is a fine album. I would easily put Steve's songwriting up their with Feist/partners. But the production and musicaianship on The Reminder are superb. And as you mentioned, its wide appeal should have given it a bump. Also, I disagree about it not being intense. My Moon, My Man? And even the slower stuff like The Water and Honey Honey have a subtle but dark intensity.

    If Beatrice ends up going against Deerhunter, I will personally take her out (the album, not the child).

    Also, did you all hear that they are finally going to release Smiles, the mythological album by The Beach Boys that got buried cause it sounded too much like Sgt. Peppers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, you've got it wrong... They didn't release it because the Beach Boys had used backmasking to reveal the truth about the first moon landing. Now that Michael Bay has blown the cover off that one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H8bnKdf654), there's no reason to hold the truth back any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zwartitude, you audiofile nerd, this isn't the deathmatch of production values is it?! Go buy yrself a new McIntosch preamp and convert all yr cd's into 180 gram virgin vinyl.

    Yeah, but the Smile sessions, that's gonna rule. I'm saving up for the 8 lp box set version. Don't get yr hopes up Zwart, you'll probably be let down by the sound quality. I hear that the original analog reels where stored in Brian Wilson's grandma's basement where the humidity levels where less than ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe, you know how lo-fi you are? You're so lo-fi you get gangrene. I know you're not happy if something doesn't sound like it was recorded under a wet blanket in a shack in Uzbekestan, but c'mon. You know, you should invest in that McIntosh preamp--you could probably hear the tape hiss from the 4 track more clearly...

    ReplyDelete