Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience

Don't worry: the title is as far as I'll go invoking William Blake. Though, hey, both Radiohead and The XX are Brits, so it's all about the countrymen.

The title does describe my dilemma. Do I choose the newbies: the homely, zitty, brit-punky kids who have crafted a sound both new and evocative, managing to make homely, zitty, and brit-punky sound hip beyond hip? I heard them on satellite radio at the dentist's office while having my teeth cleaned and even that didn't turn me from them. I know it is partly the look of the lead female singer, but I can't help thinking of earlier Brit pop pioneers Tracey Thorn and Ben Watt of Everything but the Girl in their youth. (I chose this picture to purposely leave out the other two band members, because then my comparison seems more apt, right?) Back to the dentist's office: I could choose this album as the soundtrack for about anything, and it would make that anything more palatable. And way to have a million (okay, most of eleven) ruling tracks. I would go into detail, but then I wouldn't be posting this today.

And then the old heads: Radiohead's In Rainbows. I'll fess up to being tired of Radiohead. I have loved them in the past, and I acknowledge they continue to be relevant and pioneering, which can't be said for most bands seven studio albums in. In Rainbows also strikes me as less moody, less esoteric than many of their releases. I hadn't listened to the album in a while, and I forgot about that. My dread for spending time with sullen Yorke (must be I'm in a less sullen mood myself these past few weeks) was replaced again by awe. However, however: I wouldn't put this in my top three Radiohead albums, even though it can kick the ass of most bands' top albums. That's what Radiohead gets for being at the top of their game too often.

Time will tell which album is the better album, and it may very well tell us In Rainbows. But I'm having too much fun with The XX to be terribly concerned. Congrats, newbies. Don't make me regret it.

2 comments:

  1. Also, The XX makes homely, etc. sound sexy. And also, their music makes me think that less really is more. If you know what I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete