Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sour Sixteen

Boy am I pissed after that last round. It was even worse for me than my NCAA brackets and that's saying something. (Aside to Jeff: fuck this tournament, amiright?). I guess at this point, I'm just looking forward to a Vampire Weekend vs. Arcade Fire final match-up, so that we can all just admit that we've given up. As we become more and more middle-aged and as our kids grow up, we'll keep telling them about that awesome Decemberists concert we went to, and they'll be like, "Who cares?! You could have been checking out Fleet Foxes or The Dirt Projectors or K'naan." Whatever.

So this round is going to be different. There are only sixteen albums left, which means there are only eight choices left. Eight choices, sixteen people. At first, I thought I'd just reward those who got their picks in first like last year. But that was when most of you were exhausted from widdling 128 album down to 16. This year we went for the wimpy 64, and considering how lazy most of you are, I think that was wise.

So, here's what we're going to do: teams. As in the following:

Bruce and Sarah
Andy and Eric S
Anne and Eric A
Jeff and Brian
Mark and Dwight
Joel and Andrew
Karl and Brad
Joe and Brooke


Don't complain to me if you don't like your partner. I tried to keep married folks togehter so as to create the kind of tension a good marriage needs. Otherwise, I had to try some different combinations to make it so no one had a former pick or their own album. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD THIS WAS!!! (Thank-you Andy and Eric for being just about the only people not to have f*%@ing Arcade Fire on your list).

Each team is assigned a choice, and you must come to an agreement. I know some of you will be like, "whatever, go ahead and pick cause I can't decide/don't care" but others will be like, "over my dead body is Hot Chip advancing." In either case--through email or post-coital bed talk or whatever--come to a consensus and then post it. I encourage those of you who take the email route to include any hilarious bits or threats from those emails in your post.

The assignments:

Bruce and Sarah: Kanye vs. Sufjan
Andy and Eric: XX vs. Arcade Fire
Anne and Eric: The Walkmen vs. J. Dilla
Jeff and Brian: LCD Soundsystem vs. Crooked Saints
Mark and Dwight: Vampire Weekend vs. Cat Power
Joel and Andrew: Dwight vs. Deerhunter
Karl and Brad: TV on Radio vs. Animal Collective
Joe and Brooke: Hot Chip vs. Avett Bros

Have fun???!

18 comments:

  1. Also, if I made a mistake, and any of you are like, "wait, I already picked that album" I DON'T CARE!!! Notice I've become one of internet trolls who think that caps and exclamation marks make everything you say more valid. BUT...I BLAME YOU!!! IT'S YOUR FAULT!! YOU DID THIS TO ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man the Andy/Eric team looks like the team to watch in this round. Who will be able to stop them?! Orrrr, maybe it doesn't work that way.

    Oh yeah, Zwartitude....my pick SUCKS!! why'd you give me this one??!

    And why'd you put the 2 best remaining albums TVOTR and Animal C. against each other?1??1?!!? C'mon!!

    Also can you please let us know where we can find Free Lossless Audio Codec versions of these albums to at least TRY to give then a fair listen. Also, please suggest which speakers we should buy to listen as well.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh Joe, the audiophile jokes never get old. But seriously, you have a lot of knowledge for someone who likes to make fun. Since you asked though, I would suggest purchasing a HSU subwoofer if you want to truly hear how amazing it is that Hot Chip have made it this far.

    As for the TV vs. Animal match-up, I don't choose, I just follow the brackets. But yeah, that and the Deerhunter/Dwight match-up aren't doing us any favors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why you're so bitter, Andrew. I'm the one who had to listen to DoMakeSayZZZZZZzzzzzzz.

    Next thing you'll be telling me Genesis was better after Peter Gabriel left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As if you actually listened to it, Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey zwartitude,

    It looks like "Vampire Weekend vs. Cat Power" has been assigned twice. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks better now. Maybe I was hallucinating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must be that post-coital bed talk with your partner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright, Barundi, call it in the air. Heads or tails?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Bruce: Technically, Eric and I could only have oral or anal sex. Those are both classified as non-coital sexual acts, due to the lack of vaginal penetration by the male penis, around and around, in and out. Thus, post-coital bed talk is functionally impossible between Eric and I. If Zwartitude we're to expand the situational parameters for our discussion to include post non-coital bed talk, your joke might make more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WTF:

    is "Dwight"? That's an album that's in the tournament? Really?

    and

    is the Deerhunter we're choosing Andrew? Halcyon Digest?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Karl,

    I know the TV On The Radio Album very well, I never heard the Animal collective one. What do you know about these albums?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know either of them. You might have to give me a week to listen to them...

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Karl: Remember when you picked the Flaming Lips over Broken Social Scene last year? Well, just so you're aware, by-law 128a of the consitution on death-match, music, and morality explicitly states, "in the case that the participtor chooses a modern psychedelic costume band over a Canadian indie collective, then the participator shall thence forthwith be required to choose other psychedelic colletives sounding like the Beachboys over African-American bands with fine pop sensibilities regardless of their also dabbling in psychdelia."

    Sure, it sounds racist, but I didn't make it up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who can say which way the wheel will spin? And where the coin goes, nobody knows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrew, I think you need to reconsider your fears. Sure, our kids might think we're lame for listening to the Decemberists and Arcade Fire over K'naan and the Dirty Projectors. Or, if they rebel, our kids might be wondering why we weren't listening to Nickelback and watching Two and Half Men.

    ReplyDelete