Saturday, March 19, 2011

Johnny Flyn – A Lauram vs. The Walkmen – You and Me

Is this the matchup we're still waiting for?   Probably not, but in the event that it is, here is a legitimate, legal matchup.

Here's why it's legal... both Steve and Jeff have told me in the past that I have the best taste in music, and not only do I have a Colbert-I-can-feel-it-in-my-gut type of mastery over music, but I also have a Karl-is-a-math-ma-gician type of understanding of the science of music.   So my review of this match up is allowed.   Plus what the eff is taking so long!?

So what's the correct answer to this matchup?

A Larum is not bad.   My gut felt better after listening to it for a while...  It was a little queasy during the first few songs.  It really wasn't that bad... but it reminds me of being in a bar that I have no overt desire to be in -- beyond filling my gut with brain juice of course.

The ideal time to listen to this album can be understood when shown mathematically:   
g(A) + y(A^2) = y ∪ g
where A = 'this album is awesome'

strangely enough:   
g(A) + y(-A) = y - g


You & Me on the other hand, had my gut rumbling the notion that this album sounds exactly like all the other albums 'you people' seem to like.   What's with that?   While nothing stood out to me sounding anything like Kelly Clarkson, I tried to keep an open mind.  I did at one point have a feeling wash over me that I wish there were 40 Bob Dylan albums in this years death match again... but that quickly faded as I remember Bob doesn't sound like Kelly either. 


When I stepped back and really analyzed my position on these two albums, I, of course, realized my immediate thoughts were accurate.  Both have their merits, and are competent.  But only one succeeds where others have failed.  I tend to think that 'you people' on the whole have adequate taste in music, therefore The Walkmen move on.

7 comments:

  1. I feel adequately happy about this.
    :|

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my defense, it has been a rough couple of week dealing with a sick child, then getting a nasty flu myself that put me out of commission for almost a week. Also, Johnny Flynn wasn't on Grooveshark, and other stuff that all sucks. As usual, though, Mark has stepped up and we have ridden on his shoulders through this calamity. Nice review pagey, I didn't have written it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, review so scientific! in other news, what's with all these boys getting sick and beside themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, also a boy, was sick just last week. Now I'm going to go listen to this album, because I haven't listened to The Walkmen since their first album (or at least the first album I heard by them).

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mark: Great review. I'm not sure your math is correct though. I sat beside you for most of highschool math, and I can't imagine your math will ever be quite right. Still, you saved the day here.

    @Bruce: You should listen. Their first album is (I think) so-so, but their last few are pretty amazing although is subtle ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While your assumption about my math capabilities are correct, this math is also correct. A paradox? No. It is analogous to sitting in math class, while also playing basketball in the gym.

    ReplyDelete