Sunday, January 30, 2011

(7) Gorillaz - Demon Days vs. (10) Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers

The big negative with Asking for Flowers is that it is a little too country, not for me, but for everyone. That said, it seems like a silly thing for everyone to be picky about. I'm going to buck the trend and say a little bit o' country is fine, you should do the same.

Demon Days really pissed me off as apparently Grooveshark, changed their interface from the last Death Match, and I had a horrible time adding songs to my playlist, and then trying to figure out how to remove the hundreds I inadvertently added. Way too much work. Work on that next time Gorillaz. And a big thanks to Kathleen for solving this issue for me... by having zero songs uploaded.

I enjoyed Demon Days, i was actually looking forward to listening to it, as I had not listened to the whole album before. I'm only familiar with the songs that the regular folk would be. While listening this time, I recall thinking it was a little bit repetitive, although I also recall thinking that wasn't a fair assessment.

Asking for Flowers is not going to get a fair review here. First: I couldn't find the album online anywhere, and ended up listening to the songs (mostly live) from different sources. Second, I listened to the first half of the album yesterday, and the second half today.

That said, I have nothing to add about Demon Days. I'll repeat, its good, and probably quite good. But I do have some additional things to say about Asking for Flowers.
1. I'll make the Dough... nice, a hockey video. You're getting some points there
2. Sure as Shit... nice, you have shit in the title. You're getting some points there
3. Kathleen has tabs on her website. Not the clicky-website-navigation-type tabs, but the plucky-guitar-type tabs. Metallica would probably sue themselves.
4. While listening to the album, and reading about the artist at the same time, I learn she enjoys swearing. While I'm far too old to think that's cool... I do think that's pretty rad.

oh, a positive about Demon Days... Feel Good Inc. reminds me of White Clean and Neat by Robert Plant... really it does.
Fire Coming out of the Monkey's Head reminded me of Jacques Cousteau... anytime you channel Baxter its a good thing.

So who will I hand the rose to?? Well you should already know since I referenced a rose, and one of the albums is titled asking for flowers... I mean, c'mon she likes to swear!

9 comments:

  1. Soooo...the best album of the last 10 years lost to something that is a little too country?

    OK. The gloves are coming off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen plays some fantastic music, she deserved to win this round. Plus she's tough, she can kick some cartoon characters around pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't mess with the ghost of Dennis Hopper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to put up my review as it's own post, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong so that I am not abe to. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark,

    I just pulled up all her songs from the Asking For Flowers album through Groove Shark. Sorry it gave you problems. I love this album and this artist, so thank you for choosing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome, I just searched again on Grooveshark, and the songs are there. I must really suck. I bet if I didn't see her hockey video, I would have went with Gorillaz... Divine intervention.

    Eric, I'll remind you that you knocked off Kings of Leon first, that really hurt my feelings (even though that album has no right being considered the best of the last 5 yrs). The gloves came off a long time ago, we're in the middle of war!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brad-

    Check your email for one on Andrew on Jan 21 inviting you to contribute to this blog...follow the link and accept the invitation....hope that helps

    Iron City Andy....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Grooveshark interface is different now, eh? I had the same problem trying to clear out my playlist. I went through some weird contortions.

    ReplyDelete