Thursday, January 20, 2011

Brian Lavery's picks

I'm not going to try to over-think this.

1. Avett Brothers--I and Love and You. still one of my favorite bands

2. Frightened Rabbit--Midnight Organ Fight--too whiny for my wife to listen to, just the right amount of whininess for me

3. Vampire Weekend--Vampire Weekend. i could just have easily put Contra in this spot

4. Mumford & Sons--Sigh No More. i know why others hate them, but it's perfect for me.

5. JJ--jj no 2. i'm also loving their free mix tape Kills

6. Hercules and Love Affair--Hercules and Love Affair. guaranteed to always put me in a good mood

7. Heartless Bastards--All This Time. the singer has one of my favorite voices, even though it sounds like she could kick my ass

8. Caribou--swim. wasn't on my radar until i saw them/him live. now i think this album is amazing. unfortunately, i think i lost about 30% of my hearing from the concert.

9. Erykah Badu--New amerykah part two: return of the ankh. no idea what that title means, but she's awesome

10. lcd soundsystem--sound of silver. really could have put any of his on here.

243. kanye west--my beautiful dark twisted fantasy. still in my top 250, but just a little over-rated.

honorable mentions off the top of my head
low anthem--oh my God, charlie darwin
tallest man on earth--shallow graves
tv on radio--dear science
animal collective--merriweather post
gaslight anthem--'59 sound
sufjan--age of adz
sleigh bells--sleigh bells

4 comments:

  1. Why do people hate Mumford & Sons? Hannah heard them randomly and I liked the album -- I have no context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy them as well, though I haven't known them long enough to tell if I love them.

    ReplyDelete