Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cacophony or Caca&phony?

I first heard Mumford & Sons at Bonnaroo this past summer, and their song "Little Lion Man" sent the crowd into wild hippie dancing and cheers (due to both the song's catchiness & its dropping of the f-bomb, no doubt). Also, it was raining, and plastic ponchos abounded. I wondered why I hadn't listened to these guys and whether their album was any good, which sorta sums up my Bonnaroo experience. Well, also a hefty dose of ogling fried (crispy sun-baked) and fried (drugged-out) folks.


Anyway, I've been listening to Sigh No More the past few months, and it is catchy, earnest, over-the-top, raw. I suppose this captures why Mumford & Sons are both loved and hated. (Pitchfork's reviewer gave this album a 2.1/10, finding it caca & phony.) My theory (as someone unduly interested in reviews): Anything that can earn such a low rating might actually deserve a listen.


And I've listened again and again. There's a fair portion of juvenile heartache & rebellion going on here, but I'll cop to feeling those emotions now and again, and this pushes the right buttons when needed. Still, I suspect I won't be returning to this album frequently a year or ten from now. I also can't help comparing them to their cronies in the Brit folk revival scene (Laura Marling, Johnny Flynn) and finding I prefer the cronies.


But then there's Sigur Ros. Their songs are just more more full-bodied, more flavorful than Mumford's. I could chalk it up to a longer career, and maybe that's part of it, but the other part might be that they're just the more interesting band. I do think Sigur Ros might have stood to change up their act a bit more and been, well, less like Sigur Ros. Initially, they were a big surprise. Today they're unmistakable, nearly possible to reduce to parody or formula, and I like to be mistook, rattled. Like, could a song remain teeny-tiny now and again, instead always swelling to some HUGE CACOPHONY?


Whatever: Sigur Ros wins.

11 comments:

  1. i too, prefer jf and lm to mumford and sons...jane just read to me from rolling stone that sigh no more is the 3rd best selling rock album of 2010...that just seems kinda crazy...when i saw them open for lm and jf in 08 in philly, there were only like 50 people there...they seemed a little awestruck that people in the us would want to hear their music...

    ps. pitchfork reviews are bizarre, i think...way too much detail and subjectivity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great title, Sarah. And I agree with Andy's comments about pitchfork's reviews...Some good stuff; some crazy stuff...I like reading your reviews better;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy: Really? Third best selling rock album of 2010? Huh. A & E: I know pitchfork reviews are all over the map, but I keep reading them from time to time anyway. Maybe I am amused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seems like a good explanation about maybe why M&S would be hated. I haven't listened to the lyrics yet, but I admit little pieces that I've caught have sounded perhaps a bit . . . sincere. But I find it's always a good option to give the ironic interpretation: Ah, it's not that artist is saying, "I love you for your body," it's that the artist is channeling a character who is the kind of person who says, "I love you for your body," and thus the artist is making an artful comment on how superficial people can be.

    Also, it makes sense calling them over-the-top. And to the extent that that means, "huge dynamic range and musical drama," then it makes perfect sense why I like them. After all, that's pretty much exactly what I like about Explosions in the Sky (and friends).

    Well, including SIgur Ros. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never understand Pitchfork reviews. As in, I literally don't understand what information they are trying to convey (like Karl's comment above). Still, it didn't stop by top ten from being 100% Pitchfork certified.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karl, are you being ironical in suggesting the ironic interpretation? And in writing lol?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here I will explain my ironic interpretation comment:

    No, I meant that sincerely: Sometimes I forgive shallow/bigoted/cheesy/blasphemous/ignorant lyrics because I assume they are self-aware, not just Saying Something but rather Commenting About Saying Something. Then after more listening I realize: Oh wait, no, it's just that this band is shallow/bigoted/cheesy/blasphemous/ignorant.

    I guess I was saying that if you just skip the "more listening" part, then you can go on indefinitely thinking a band is cleverer than they are. Which would be a good way to keep enjoying the music.

    Here I will explain my "lol":

    Andrew's post made me laugh out loud. Remember, all humor is based in pain. Like the pain that I will cause Andrew when I see him next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. (rewrite with working link) Oh wait, I should have said, "I don't even know anymore".

    http://www.snpp.com/other/special/philosophy.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice, Karl. And by nice, I mean something else. And also, nice.

    ReplyDelete