Sunday, January 30, 2011

sTARs Vs AVETT BROs - Blah Blah Blah

YAY! NEW ALBUMs TO LIsTEN TO!
BOO! NEW ALBUMs TO NEVER LISTEN TO AGAIN.
The Avett Brothers album "I and Love and You" was the first one I tackled. I had a good feeling about this one. I played spider solitaire whilst listening. I probably fit in about 12 games over the course of the album. I won all 12. Hardly using any undos. Not bad. Just like the album that was playing in the background. The first few songs had my attention. I wrote some notes that went something like; good voice, songs that sound new and familiar, every song reminds me of waking up from a great sleep whilst camping, etc...
But after the first few songs, it just became... blah. I kept listening, but it was just washing over me like my mom's rants about how times aren't like they used to be. Of course they aren't! They're like they are now! Anyhoo... It was good background music, but everytime I focused on what was actually happening, I kind of cringed and wanted to go back to letting it blah over me.
The Stars album "In our bedroom after the war" was the second album I wrestled. I. Don't. Like. Blah Blah Blah. That's what I heard. The first song on this album that I enjoyed was "Window Bird" (Track 9). It also happened to be the last song I enjoyed. I've never paid this band any attention, mostly cause everything I've heard reminds me of a so-so high school band. I don't enjoy the quality of the guy's vocals, and their repititive use of boring patterns in their harmonies don't do a thing for my addiction to excitement. I read somewhere on the internet that they wanted this album to sound like a book. If that's the case, the book goes something like this: Once upon a time in some place on some week during a month in the years before now, nothing happened. The end.
So, both albums were blahtastic, but Stars got more blahs, so Avett Bros win!

6 comments:

  1. I picture you in a shack in the woods. You are so remote that the mail only comes twice a year. When the albums arrive you are filled with such excitement; the beans are boiling on the iron wood-fired stove but you ignore them, rip open the jewel cases, pop the first one into an old Yamaha boom box that your parents got you as a high-school graduation present almost 20 years ago. But when you listen to the songs and they are no good, you are filled with rage, and you pound the raw-board trestle table with your fists. As you roar, drool and beans spray from your mouth and dribble into your badger-sized beard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm just suspecting an anti-Canadian conspiracy. Stars AND Weakerthans knocked out in the first round? Seriously? Stars was one of the best shows I've ever seen, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Once upon a time in some place on some week during a month in the years before now, nothing happened. The end." Is this too long for a bumper sticker?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne, The problem with you anti-Canadian conspiracy thought in the judgement of Avett Brothers over the Stars is that the judge himself is Canadian! Now he clearly voted against his fellow country people and Canada's proud and thriving music industry in this case, but I can't imagine that he is anti-Canadian. I trust he will taken into consideration more carfully the country of origin of all the following bands he judges the rest of the tournament.

    ReplyDelete