Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weakerthans Vs. Ferraby Lionheart

I don't think I am Canadian enough to fully appreciate these guys. From the little I read about them on the web, they seem like nice enough blokes (i.e., politically/ socially conscious, dedicated to truly independent music, etc.), but I just didn't enjoy their sound very much. The lead singer's voice must be an acquired taste, but by the the album's end the acquisition of this taste still largely eluded me. The lyrics here are literate and well-crafted, with some interesting Canadian references to boot, but they just didn't resonate with me personally. (Maybe it's because I'm from Detroit, and they're from Winnipeg?) And the spoken word piece in the middle of the album is simply uncalled for; it induced 'Nam-like flashbacks of earnest but painfully mediocre college poetry readings from the early '90s. I had a brief anxiety attack, but recovered enough to award the album an Eric Rating of: 2.4

(P.S. An Eric Rating is obtained by assigning every song on the album a ranking of 1-5 and then averaging these scores over the number of songs on the album. A little hokey? Yes. Number-generating and generally reflective of my overall opinion? Also yes.)


Now this album I truly enjoyed. Ferraby is a talented tune-smith who forges a sound both classic and oddly familiar while also sounding fresh and new. The first three songs on the album are just fantastic, and if we lived in a more just world, the poppy-jangle of "Harry and Bess" would have earned it some serious radio play. At times, his songs are reminiscent of fellow singer-songwriters Ron Sexsmith or perhaps Richard Hawley...Poignant, catchy, romantic (in the best sense of the word). I look forward to spending more time with this album and give it a solid: 4.1

Mr. Lionheart advances.

10 comments:

  1. I wish more people listened to Ferraby Lionheart...His first album, Catch the Brass Ring and his self titled EP are all real solid...He's sorta like a happy Elliot Smith...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo. Lyrics didn't resonate with you? "The sun will start late and clock out early so I drive around and wait for it. Follow familiar roads, emptied of every memory, under a sheet of silence and unmarked snow." You don't have to be Canadian to appreciate Weakerthans. I can't believe they were knocked out in the first round. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The number 1 top seed bumped out by an album that didn't even make the top 64? I sense a Detroit cartel . . . intent on spreading their fickle, grass-is-always-greener, bird flying from tree to tree, you're only cool if you've heard of this little guy, anti-popular esotericistic tendencies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Esotericistic"? Sarah Palin just called, Karl; she wants her word back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK - so granted i don't like Reunion Tour as much as Fallow and Left and leaving. If you don't like those 2 albums, you have no soul. There, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we can blame Andrew Z. for the upset, since he assigned the match-ups. I knew the moment The Weakerthans landed in Eric's hand that they were goners.

    Anne, Eric has soul, but only the Detroit variety. Whether he has a soul, that's another question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By "Detroit variety", Sarah means "black". And this is true: I am pasty white on the outside, but rich and chocolaty on the inside. As to the existence of my soul, or anyone else's for that matter, well, we'll have to leave that for Philosophy/Theology Death Match 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone who loves the Weakerthans, I thought to myself "what the craps is that doin' in the #1 position"? It quite clearly ranks #4 of their 4 albums albums in my book. Anybody disagreein?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still, #4 of their their 4 albums may well mean that it's the fourth best album EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joe,
    Unfortunately, Reuion Tour was the only Weakerthans album that was put out in the last five years, hence the only one that qualified for this competition.

    It's #1 ranking was given based on how many of us nominated it in this specific competition, not based on where we rank it in the context of the entire Weakerthans catalouge.

    Nevertheless, I am entirely scandalized it was voted out in the first around. Very sad occurence.

    ReplyDelete