Monday, January 31, 2011

(8) Feist vs. (9) The Chemical Brothers

Before this week I had never listened to a Chemical Brothers album all the way through. I have heard a number of their songs over the years, but never fancied them enough to look into them all that carefully. I must say that the songs I heard of theirs before listening to their nominated album Further, always left me a bit confused. I could never really tell if they are trying to be a pop band or be an electronica band or be a pop electronica band or just trying to play good music period. After listening to their album Further, I am still confused as to what niche or genre if you will, they are trying to appeal to. A few songs were very accessible to me, I am some one who is admittedly not into a lot of electronica music, but other songs failed to resonate with me. Nevertheless, I enjoyed listening to the album and I plan to listen to it some more.

Feist on the other hand, has been an album we have owned for a number of years and I have listened to it countless times. In fact it very nearly made my own top ten list, but I did not end up including it. This is an album I love and I do not tire of it.

Two things stood out to me in my decision making process. 1. I was judging one album I had never heard before vs. one I have owned for quite some time. Ownership bias noted. 2. One fell in a genre of music I like vs. the other one in a genre I'm not so hot on. Inability to be a good music critic noted.

I wish I could have somehow put my biases aside but that proved impossible. Hence Feist moves on to the next round.

6 comments:

  1. Jeff,

    I just now read the manner in which I was supposed to absorb the Chemical Brothers, alas I did not listen to them in this way. Although I must say the context you provided seems it would be an appropraite one in which to enjoy these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, maybe you would have been OK with a pacifier loaded up with some newfangled medicine.

    This would have been a tough one for me...it would be hard to vote against anything chemical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad, I commend you on your decision. Go with your biases. You are the most earnest person in this whole Death Match anyways; don't let any of these Canadian bastards try to grind you down with their trash talk...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric,
    I appreciate the Michigan solidarity. However I must state two things.
    1. I really hope my Canadian nominee by way of Somalia, a former refugee, beats your pick of Detroit's own J. Dilla.
    2. I would think the Canadians in this competition would be happy I picked Feist, one of their own over some jokers from the U.K., dudes from the country that colonized Canada no less!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel you could have taken this one just about in any direction and I'd support it.

    ReplyDelete