Saturday, January 29, 2011

M.I.A. "Kala" vs. Johnny Flynn "A Larum"

Well, it's a privilege and an honor to once again referee MIA in a music death match.

I have, though, matured since those brutal dark days. No longer do I think capacity for violence is the deciding factor. Instead I think that popularity should decide.

Johnny Flynn, we assume, is known and loved by everyone in England, which, as I was taught in middle school, is an extremely important country in history.

M.I.A., on the other hand--I really don't know where she's from, but it can't be from anywhere as important as London.

Therefore the world votes, and the world votes for Johnny Flynn.

3 comments:

  1. No but seriously, I think here is the summary: Kala just doesn't set my foot to tappin', and I can't tell you why, since clearly it makes a lot of other peoples' feet tap.

    For instance, Bamboo Banger and Bird Flu both sound like they took a loop from Sufjan's "Enjoy Your Rabbit" and then tracked "eeeeyyyyyahhhh" over and over on it. Too repetitious of a loop.

    More from my notes: Boyz and Jimmy are more palatable. Hussel gets a ++ from me, but really I'd just as soon listen to Paper Planes sixteen times as listen to the album. Then I stopped taking notes, except to say that M.I.A. gets points for being "legit." (Wikipedia says that what I mean is that she uses Tamil instruments and stuff.)

    Jimmy Flynn seems pretty good. I like some songs, I don't like others. My foot taps, he's got a nice Damien Jurado cottony thing in his voice, and his melodies are interesting. Other than that, it's folk, and folk was like SOOOOO back when I was in college and as far as I know nobody has paid attention to it since. I look forward to seeing it eliminated in the next round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karl, you are funny. Also, you are wrong. Thank you, though, for advancing one of my picks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard Kala in the thrift store right after I read this drivel and the following happened: Everyone suddenly had a new lilt in their step and felt super badass. When "Mango Pickle Downriver" came on, this hipstery woman dressed in late 19th-century garb and a necklace with a saber-toothed tiger tooth on it started shaking her butt. The sweater I was trying on became armor against political dumbness and stupidosity. Yes. You are wrong.

    But JOHNNY Flynn is a jolly good chap and maybe he won't go down next round.

    ReplyDelete