Thursday, February 10, 2011

5 Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me vs. 12 Dirty Projectors Rise Above

It took me forever to post this because frankly Joanna Newsom's album is long.

At first I listened to both albums with the volume quite low, and thought they were both crap. I put some effort into turning the volume up and that made a lot of sense, as I quite enjoyed both albums then. So much so, that they've both received multiple listens.

And in thinking about who will win this matchup, I can't come up with any constructive criticism. Neither are the greatest ever, but certainly worthwhile listens. So I recommend both.

Rise Above is an interesting concept... trying to remember and record the Black Flag album Damaged. Certainly didn't result in a boring cover version, so that is a big plus.

Joanna Newsom had Roy Harper open for her on tour, and frankly that's a big plus too. Yes she's getting points for something that isn't related to the album specifically, but tough shit, Roy kicks ass.

I'm taking points away from each for producing albums that sound like crap when barely audible.

While I realize this write-up doesn't really have a lot of insight about the albums specifically (why start now), I would venture to say that this matchup produced two albums that I'm really glad I listened to. Both albums were better than expected. That's as good as it gets folks.

So who wins... in listening to Rise Above, I had to listen to Damaged, like any responsible gauge-r of music... and I noticed one glaring issue. I don't hear T.V. Party on Rise Above.

What the hell is that all about?

Have One On Me wins.

2 comments:

  1. I also find that both of these albums suck with the volume turned all the way off. There are, however, some albums that sound much better that way.

    ReplyDelete