Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Steve's review of Jay Dee vs. K'naan, which I should have posted a long time ago

I'm really loving Jay Dee. Maybe it's because I've cut out donuts in my diet...
I want to like K'naan. I really do. I know it's ridiculous to compare him to Emmanuel Jal because they are from different countries and have different stories...but the African tinge to their hip hop is in the forefront and when I listen to Jal, I feel like I'm flying. When I listen to K'naan I feel really blue for some reason. And I don't think I have to feel all wonderful when I listen to music...and K'naan addresses really important things, but I think he's a bit too much about hyping his MC skills...it's seems a bit cliche.

I love the creativity of Jay Dee's record. The samples are tasty and I feel like I can listen to this record in a lot of different scenarios. So it's the winner.

Better reviews from me to come, I promise. Andrew was right...I've been ill and sapped of energy.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, as has been the case throughout history, a son of Africa is denied his rightful place at the table with representatives of the Western world. That this injustice would occur even in the context of this music match is of no great suprise to me. However that my thoughtful and justice loving friend would preside and therefore perpetuate such oppresion is discouraging indeed, I dare say even appaling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This side lining of Africa has got to stop!!! But lifting up Detroit is important also, its been kicked around awfully hard as far as American cities go. What did people think of the Detroit commerical from the Super Bowl?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it, Brad. I think Detroit does need to stop viewing itself as solely the Motor City, and look to other new options for economic growth, but I still loved the commercial. It captured Detroit pride very nicely, without being overly cheesy and without pretending the city is something that it isn't.

    ReplyDelete