Friday, February 18, 2011

Yeahs VS Stevens



A few days ago, I wrote this long thing in a word document file and hoped to copy/paste it into this. I found out I couldn't copy/paste and immediately got frustrated and returned to my spider solitaire. If I had been able to copy/paste, It's Blitz! would have been declared the winner.
The next day, I drove in to work and heard a song from Illinoise! on the radio and remembered how genius I thought it was. Sufjan Stevens wins. Here's why:
While I love the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' album, It's Blitz!, I don't think it's genius. Genius isn't a word I throw around lightly. Oreos are genius. Tim Burton is genius. Jim Henson is genius. Beernuts are pretty genius. Spier Solitaire? Yep. Genius. But It's Blitz! isn't.
The reason I had originally picked it as the winner was a point system. I couldn't decide which album to pick, so I listened to each album and rated each song a number between 0 and 5 (5 being amazing, O being "Steal my sunshine"). The final score for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs was 38 out of 50 (76%) and the final score for Sufjan Stevens was 62 out of 110 (56%). Sufjan lost a lot of points because of all the extra little bits throughout this album that I tend to skip. The parts I don't skip are... genius! And I don't feel that genius gets rewared enough.
Let me be clear: It's Blitz! is super incredible. I love most of it. I do feel that in a few years it will lose a lot of my initial excitement. Illinoise! has been out for a while now, and I feel the same way about it that I did back in the day; genius!
I forgot to add Sufjan's latest album to my list. I love it too.

3 comments:

  1. Is there any way you could admit that It's Blitz has the better cover art? Yeah Yeah Yeahs are dead, long live the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

    ReplyDelete
  2. how can steal my sunshine be a zero?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you had the extra day to come to your senses. Now at least one of my 10 is still alive.

    ReplyDelete