Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Whorehouse vs Do My Suck Thing

I got my review in first this round, what did I win?


1. “I want to grab you by the hair…..and hang you up from the heavens.” May be the worst lyric I’ve come across in either music tournament thus far.
2. which was immediately followed by ‘you know I look like a woman and I, I cut like a buffalo.” What am I missing here? Is this really clever, but I just don’t get it?
3. It feels like they’re trying to channel the movie dead man, but let me tell you, Horehound is no dead man (sidenote – wasn’t ‘way of the samurai’ an awesome movie? And, wasn’t jack White in JJ’s coffee and cigarettes? Everything is coming full circle.)
4. I did like so far from your weapon. 1 for 4.
5. The second half of the album ended up being much stronger, FYI, I was actually hoping to discover something really great with this album, and parts of it were solid, but ultimately it just didn’t deliver. It had some great moments (the guitar on bone house, all of 3 birds) but too often felt unnecessarily inaccessible, like they were worried about making their alt-country-blues-rock album too mainstream.
1. Do Make Say Think rock.

Ultimately though, my gut was telling me to go with my bias. And my bias was telling me to go with the album I was biased towards, rather than the one I was biased against, no matter how objectively great, technically proficient, or whatever whichever album was.

So Do Make Say Think move on.



5 comments:

  1. Was your bias based on which one you think was better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karl, I don't really understand myself, or any of the complex inner workings of my psyche. There is usually no way to tell what my bias' are based on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No shame is losing to the Do Makes. Remember that everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does not surprise me at all.

    Strangely enough, I heard "feel my sunshine" this morning on my way in to work. i thought to myself, "Boy, what was Jeff thinking, trying to make everyone else appreciate this song?"

    Now I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In 100 years, everyone will look back and realize how right I was about so many things.

    ReplyDelete