Sunday, February 6, 2011

Deerhunter vs. Mum

First up, Deerhunter...













I always heard of these guys, but never heard them...I think something about the name turned me off...I think they got a shitty band name...but, oh well...it's better than test icicles...microcastles/weird era cont. seemed to me to be fairly accomplished, if not a little boring/generic guitar indie rock...maybe it would grow on me, but after a few fitful listens, i've yet to be wowed...not bad or awful or anything, just kinda "in one ear out the other"

and now, Mum...











this seems like something I would listen to if I was bored in Reykjavik and wanted to look out a window or something...and it would be cold and I might have a cup of coffee...anyway, this is a pretty good album...nothing on it really annoys me or anything, but, like deerhunter, I was never wowed...

Since I have to pick one, I'm picking Deerhunter...it's just more my style...


5 comments:

  1. I would have gone with Taxidriver but Deerhunter works. It's better than Deer Tick (sp?)...That has to be one of the worst band names out there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indie rock is awash with bad band names...what makes a good band name? what if you're in a band with a bad name and you don't know it? what if you have a bad actual name and can't think of a good fake name? can a bad band with a bad name change it's name to a good name and become a good band? is it better to have and good name before you even have a band? what about those bands that have a "the" in front, is that still okay? like today, would "the clash" just be "clash" - is that better? do you feel happy when you think of a good band name? do you think any band changed their names for being too jewish, like jon stewart or winona ryder? thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still like a good "The" in front. At least in the bedroom. Hee HAW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and yes, I did read once that Tommy James and the Shondells were originally named Tommy Jamestein and the Shondellbergs, which they shortened to broaden their appeal to goys. Man, I am on fire tonight...I should get a gig in the Catskills or some shit like that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hear there's a slot opening in jackie mason

    ReplyDelete