Monday, February 7, 2011

Living with the choir

I love it that this album is on this list. I can see how some people love it. This album has a lot of what's great about Neil Young...the loudness, the rawness. It sounds like some of these songs weren't even rehearsed. He really nails it when he writes topical songs (usually). But the choir. The choir just kills it for me. Some of the tracks it really adds to the song, but for the most part, the choir bugs the crap out of me. I would love to hear the album without the choir.

I almost put his "Le Noise" album on the list. I find it a fascinating listen, but I don't think I've spent enough time with it.





I think this album is over-rated, but it does have it merits. Some of the tracks are awesome. I just find this album a little too long, and a little too over-produced. The Chris Rock monologue bores me (and he's hilarious), I don't think I've listened to it without paying attention to it. It bugs me how much some of the vocals are buried in the mix. If it wasn't for the choir, Living with War would have moved on.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't even listened to much of this Kanye album because I can't stand Kanye right now, but...I gotta say I still really like Neil. He probably puts out too many albums, but I'm surprised at how good so many of them are. "Le Noise" is a great listen...I think "Chrome Dreams II" and "Prairie Wind" hold up really well, too...And who else comes out with an entire album dedicated to protesting the war in Iraq? Neil rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a weird thing about the Kanye record that I noticed: while the prodcution is big (all the guest stars, big sounds, etc.), the sound quality on some of the tracks is for shit. Anyone else notice that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, Kanye's not getting any love in this group. Zwartitude you and your bougie ears. No one knows what you and yr fancy speakers are talking about.
    Or maybe I've just ruined my critical listening after a couple years of only listening to mp3's on crappy 2 inch speakers.
    Vinyl Rules!!

    ReplyDelete