Monday, February 28, 2011

Domakesaythink something! Anything!


I no longer believe in the Invisible Hand of Andrew.

Despite Andrew's protestations, I held off posting my review for a few days. Facebook, in its almighty wisdom, informed me of Andrew's birthday, and I wanted to wait with my review of DoMakeSayThink until after his birthday had passed.

I am a DMST nonbeliever. My first impression--if you're going to make songs approaching 10 minutes long, make them interesting. Perhaps I didn't get or like them because I heard them first while grading a stack of exams. On second listen, I still didn't find them memorable or interesting. "Bound to be that way" reminds me of Versus gone bad. There's not much more for me to say other than I'm open to giving them another try if someone provides a compelling reason.

On to Deerhunter's Halcyon Digest.

Joe was right. The cover art for Deerhunter is downright creepy. As a matter of fact, most pictures I found for Deerhunter look unhealthy. I've chosen a pic that makes me less uncomfortable.


Thus far because my reviews have been rather easy I haven't needed to try a numbering system. It's come down to this question: do I want to listen to this album again? For Deerhunter the answer was a clear yes. The songs are distinct (yes, I suppose that is a slam on DMST) and work well together.

Deerhunter wins! Now celebrate by loading up on a few more calories.

3 comments:

  1. I have Deerhunter playing again and feel I need to amend my post. I am loving this album...it would have been hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Desire Lines" is my new favorite song. I love how it builds with the first few verses, hits an instrumental crescendo, and then slowly ramps things back down.

    Sorta like if Clarence Clemons had played on Pet Sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upon further review, I think "Desire Lines" is pretty much a ripoff of Longitude's "Elevator Energy."

    ReplyDelete