Monday, February 28, 2011

Kanye vs. Nick Cave




Let's start with the loser. I've never been a huge Nick Cave fan, but this album - at best I found it boring, at worst, headache-inducing. A couple of songs like the title track and "We Call Upon the Author" kind of had a cool Talking Heads vibe to them, but not nearly as good. At first I thought that "More News from Nowhere" was decent, but when it was still playing the same continuous loop a full 8 minutes later, I was just bored. Plus, too many of the songs had the same incessant dirty guitar thing going on in the background, which is both boring and headache-inducing.
Kanye's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is not typically my type of music, but it was interesting. I really liked the title track - very cool sampling and overall sound. Sure it's misogynistic and at various times obscene, but at least it's interesting. Plus, I had forgotten about that whole Taylor Swift controversy a couple years back and got to revisit that. I decided: no one disputes that Beyonce should've gotten the award - right? So really, Kanye just said what everyone else was thinking. Sure he was a jackass about it, but he was honest. Anyway - I wanted to keep listening - the music, the arrangements, and the lyrics were intriguing, very unlike "Night of the Locusts." Kanye moves forward.

3 comments:

  1. Before getting bent out of shape over the Grammys, artists, writers, tweeters, and jackasses should remember that "Who Let the Dogs Out" won one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the arrangements in MBDTF, but I have trouble with some of the lyrics, and expecially with the Chris Rock monologue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, Jeff is such a dad these days.

    ReplyDelete